Amazon

Monday, October 10, 2011

HP Touchpad feat. WebOS. Far out or failure?

Hey all, Let me start this post by giving away the end of the story. I just received an HP Touchpad (16GB) and to be honest, although I planned on writing this immediately, I've had so much fun with this new "toy" that I haven't been on here. I just want to give everyone a quick rundown of a couple of different things. What good is a tablet without accessories. I would like to talk about those first if you don't mind.

1. HP Touchpad Cover -
I was very impressed with this case, maybe as much as with the actual product. I will admit, when a colleague received his, I was skeptical. No zipper, no plastic bump guards. Yikes! When I actually received my own, I was pleasantly surprised. The shell that covers the actual device reminds me of ballistic plastic. Flexible and breathable but at the same time, it really feels like it is protecting something valuable. In addition to the ingenuity responsible for it's construction, we are also able to create a multi-position "kickstand" to allow better viewing for movies, etc... One quick side note before I go on. Because the front of the cover is flexible, almost like a normal book, the micro fiber lining has actual kept my screen spotless from the motion of walking etc.

2. Bluetooth Keyboard -

The other must have accessory I found was the HP Bluetooth keyboard. This keyboard is very light, extremely comfortable and ergonomic and is actually pretty attractive.

3. HP Touchpad -

Alright, now the juicy stuff. I can honestly say that, as much of a geek as I am, I am extremely impressed with this device. The Touchpad being my first experience with WebOS, I am completely blown away. While I am a diehard Linux enthusiast, I have to say WebOS is easily the second best operating system I have ever used. (Granted, WebOS is Linux based but I'm comparing it to main stream distros)

This tablet is very intuitive, responsive and just a good ole' time! So far, I have used it for business and pleasure and I have not been let down in either respect.

I will say this. I did follow instructions on Touchpad Plus to turn off some of the default system logging and I also applied some patches that seems to improve performance 10 fold. For anyone reading this that is unaware, there is a group of developers that love WebOS enough to develop applications pro bono. This is called "Homebrew" and "Preware". A quick Google search will show a wealth of freeware and beta applications available for use.

As I said, I have done multiple things to my own device to increase performance and I would be more than happy to assist anyone that is interested.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Network